- Operates systems manually or by remote control and operates mechanical equipment which regulates the flow and treatment of sewage or sludge.
- Starts, stops, and regulates electric motors, centrifugal and positive displacements pumps, bar screens, grinders, grit collectors, air compressors, chlorinators, washers, grease skimmers, gas burners, rotary screens, conveyors, and related equipment.
- Performs routine maintenance duties such as lubricating equipment and changing belts; carries out operating orders in the plant or unit of the plant to which assigned; performs minor building maintenance, grounds maintenance, cleaning and custodial duties.
- Reads meters, gauges, and other control and measuring devices; maintains a shift log of unit operations to include records of meter and gauge readings and reports relative to mechanical repairs and plant operations; maintains written records on reports and rounds reported to supervisor.
- Participates in the operation of plant equipment including belt presses.
- Operates, tools, equipment and machinery used for maintenance and cleaning of wastewater system facilities; operates a skip loader tractor in order to load and haul dry sludge.
- Collects samples for laboratory testing as necessary; analyzes, understands, and computes lab sample results in order to improve plant performance and keep in optimum operation.
- Performs routine chlorine cylinder changes.
- Responds to emergency call-out situations and perform standby duty for emergency response on weekends and holidays according to predetermined schedule. These emergency responses may involve chlorine leaks and their mitigation.
- Reads, understands, and ensures compliance with Safety Manual; attends safety meetings, as required; reports all accidents, violations, or infractions to supervisor.
- Nonessential Skills and Experience:
- Support the operations as needed.
- Perform other related duties as needed.
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, it is expected to work rotating shift assignments, weekends, holidays, and overtime as needed. Standby and on-call duty is required. Some shifts will require working alone.
- Work Environment: This position involves regular field work and exposure to outdoor weather conditions. Mitigation efforts may be required to avoid exposure to moving mechanical parts, toxic or caustic chemicals, fumes or airborne particles, and loud noise. Work may be performed in precarious locations, can be physical demanding, and requires lifting up to 60 pounds and anything over 60 pounds will be considered a "team lift" with the assistance of a co-worker.